10 Tips to Foster Your Child’s Eco-Education
April 20, 2018
Get ready to Celebrate Earth Day-April 22!
Earth Day is a day to celebrate our planet, its resources and nature. We use this day to teach and learn more about ways we can keep our planet safe, happy and resource-full. It’s also a terrific opportunity for your family to participate in “green” acts like planting fresh new trees and flowers. Earth Day reinforces the importance of values such as respect, sharing, kindness, and manners – all aspects of good citizenship that are core to our Life Essentials® curriculum.
It’s never too early to start teaching your child the importance of keeping our planet clean and learning how to reduce, reuse and recycle. With a little guidance and encouragement, kids can get creative and help celebrate our beautiful world this Earth Day!
Here are ways you can foster your children’s eco-education at home!
- Find ways to re-purpose things you already own before you purchase new items.
- Ask your child to help you gather gently used items and donate them to charity organizations.
- Turn packaging items like cartons or plastic sleeves into new art projects – instead of sending them to a landfill.
- Sew an old pillowcase into a new tote bag; use it to replace plastic bags when you shop.
- Take a nature walk together and discuss what you see along the way – like the appearance of ponds or streams or the presence of litter.
- Walk – instead of driving – to the neighborhood playground.
- Re-use paper towel rolls cut into sections as seed starting pots – plant the entire thing when plant is established.
- Start a garden! Plant flowers and vegetables that your family can enjoy all summer long.
- Set up a recycling station in your home.
- Read books with an eco-friendly theme with your children.
Take a look at our suggested literature!
A Tree Is Nice, by Janice May Udry
Earth Day: Keeping Our Planet Clean, by Elaine Landau
Recycled!, by Jillian Powell
S Is for Save the Planet, by Brad Herzog
Uno’s Garden, by Graeme Base
How will you celebrate Earth Day? Share your plans on Kiddie Academy’s Facebook Page and include #earthdayka18.
We would love to send you our free monthly newsletter, Parenting Essentials! You’ll receive a newsletter by e-mail, full of parenting advice, ideas and information, as well as articles about emerging trends in educational child care.
Thank you for reading along, as we work together in raising the next generation of amazing kids!
Sign-up for our monthly newsletter
The learning doesn't stop for parents, either. That’s why we created an information resource with helpful tips on everything from enriching our STEM program at home to introducing lifelong healthy eating and fitness habits.