Join us in our Celebration of Reading Across America
March 6, 2023
Read Across America: Join us in the largest celebration of reading across the nation!
Read Across America began in 1998 by the National Education Association (NEA). The celebration was originally held on March 2nd, but has now become a year-round program. The intent of the celebration is for children to experience the joy of reading. An emphasis is placed on high quality, diverse literature in which the children will see themselves reflected in the stories and as part of a rich diverse world. The NEA has resources and articles that can help our families to support your efforts at home:
• Read Across America For Parents – https://www.nea.org/resource-library/read-across-america-parents
• Raising Readers: What Parents Can Do – https://www.nea.org/professional-excellence/student-engagement/tools-tips/raising-readers-what-parents-can-do
• 14 Big Ideas for Celebrating NEA’s Read Across America – https://www.nea.org/professional-excellence/student-engagement/tools-tips/14-big-ideas-celebrating-neas-read-across
• Read Across America Reading Tips – https://www.nea.org/professional-excellence/student-engagement/read-across-america/support-your-readers/reading-tips
• Tips for Reading to Infants and Toddlers – https://www.nea.org/professional-excellence/student-engagement/tools-tips/tips-reading-infants-and-toddlers
Our Character Parade:
To celebrate Read Across America, we are going to be holding a ‘Character Parade’ through the school on 3/22 (Wednesday). Children (and teachers) are invited to dress up as a favorite character from a book and join us as we parade throughout the school!