10 Family-Friendly Earth Day Activities
Looking for ideas for celebrating this year’s Earth Day with your family? Here’s a list of 10 eco-friendly family activities compiled by the Kiddie Academy education team:
- Involve your children in finding ways to repurpose things you already own before you purchase new items.
- Ask your children to help you gather gently used items and donate them to charity organizations.
- Turn packaging items like cartons or plastic sleeves into new art projects – instead of sending them to a landfill.
- Sew an old pillowcase into a new tote bag; use it to replace plastic bags when you shop.
- Take a nature walk together and discuss what you see along the way – like streams or flowers.
- Walk – don’t drive – to the neighborhood playground.
- Shop at your local thrift stores with your children. It’s a treasure trove of games, books and art supplies.
- Re-use paper towel rolls cut into sections as seed starting pots – plant the entire thing when plant is established.
- Set up a recycling station in your home.
- Read books with an eco-friendly theme with your children.
“As you work these activities into your family schedule, be sure to explain to your children why these activities are important and how they are good for our planet,” says our VP of Education, Claire Haas.
For more Earth Day activity ideas, parents can visit Kiddie Academy’s new Eco-Friendly Crafts board on Pinterest.