What do franchisors look for in franchise candidates? Trait One…
Think you need an MBA to impress a franchisor? Not true. In this series, we’ll examine some of the key traits that franchisors seek in potential franchisees, and why those traits are so important.
Trait 1: Being a natural relationship-builder
The ability to work well with employees and clients is essential to the health of any franchise business, but the ability to sustain meaningful connections outside the business is just as important.
An ideal franchise candidate:
1. Is an active member of his or her community.
We’ve heard it said that “the ideal franchisee would be the mayor of his or her town.” Someone well connected with his or her community is more likely to:
- Have their finger on the pulse of the community and drive their business in a way that resonates with community moods and events
- Gain community support for their business
- Encounter new local sales and marketing opportunities
2. Has a strong personal support system of family and/or friends.
Being a business owner is exciting, but it can be stressful, too. Having a personal support system for all of the ups and downs that go with being a business owner makes franchisees more likely to be able to deal productively with potential stresses.
3. Is likely to participate in the franchisee network.
One great advantage of owning a franchise business is being able to build on the experience and insight of fellow franchisees. Franchisees who become an active part of the franchisee network are likely to:
- Share and benefit from ideas and successes
- Anticipate and solve problems
Franchisors seek new franchisees that are likely to become an active part of the franchisee community, because they will both add to and gain from the system.
What role do interpersonal skills play in business building? Let us know how your interpersonal skills have impacted your professional life. Post your questions or comments below.
If you have an idea for a topic you’d like to see discussed here, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.